Towards Rest

One theoretical purpose of Mardi Gras is to get all your sins and desires out before you have to give it up during the Lenten season.

After Mardi Gras this year, I remember joking to my housemates, "After all these parades, I'm tired of people. I'm giving up people for Lent."

Little did I know that there would be a global pandemic that required me to stay at home and see as few people as possible.

You would think that after about a month of self-isolation, as an introvert, I would be rejuvenated. I haven't gone to any big events. My interactions are limited. I get to stay in my house all day. I don't even have to go in to work!

Yet, somehow, I find myself more and more exhausted.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
Psalm 23:2-3

Before this pandemic, Sundays were very actively a day of rest. After church, I would go to the park by myself and sit and pray and maybe call my family.

But now, Sundays seems chaotically busy. I connect with the Prayer Team for my church via Zoom before watching our service over Facebook Live. Then I've had Zoom meetings with groups of family and friends to check in. Then, I try to get some of the work that I need to do for myself done that I don't have time to do during the week. Before I know it, it's time for dinner and for our house Zoom meeting and then chores. Where is my time to rest?

Before this pandemic, my drive to and from work was a time to reflect and decompress. Dancing was a way to get out of the house and move my body while still not require much human interaction.

But now, I'm on my computer all day long for work and then continue to stay on my computer for house meetings. If I'm not on my computer, I'm on my phone checking in with friends. If I'm not using technology, I'm walking in the park with a friend or housemate to talk while exercising. I'm always engaging with others. Where is my time to rest?

Before this pandemic, I had rest and introvert time build into my day. I had constructed a day with what I needed scheduled in.

It seems as though everything on social media is talking about how to stay busy and stay connected, but I'm wondering how to factor spiritual rest into my daily schedule.

One step that I plan on taking is setting specific times where I refuse to look at my phone or computer. Maybe I'll read my book instead. Maybe I'll go for a walk. Maybe I'll just sit and be.

How are you factoring in rest to your new schedule? Any tips for me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Community

Towards Anti-Racism

Towards Interconnected Joy and Sorrow