Towards Worship

Early in September, when our house visited John Calvin Presbyterian Church, the pastor there asked what our hobbies were. When I told him that I dance, he asked if I would do a liturgical dance for them (dance movement incorporated into liturgies or worship services as an expression of worship).

I thought he was joking.

My response was something along the lines of, "I'll do it, if you do it with me."

The next week, he followed up with an email. He was being serious.

After some time to adjust to New Orleans and then coordinate, choreograph, and practice, I finally performed my liturgical dance for their service.

Click HERE to view the video of the dance! (This video is from a rehearsal, which is why there is no one in the congregation and the choir isn't singing. Also, the sound quality isn't the best, but it's the best we could do.)

Apparently, everyone at the service loved it. They have been talking about it all week long. Pastor Jonathan hopes that this will invigorate their communal worship.

Even if no one had enjoyed or appreciated it, the opportunity to do this dance was incredible for me.

First, the process of the dance creation helped me to have much needed closure on some mental and emotional issues that were completely unrelated to the dance.

Second, it helped me to see myself as an artist. I never saw myself as very creative, but I got to see this process through from start to finish. I chose the song, created the choreography, edited and refined the choreography, developed the costume, and performed the dance. I even enjoy watching the dance and don't cringe at my own movement!

I am incredibly proud of this dance and am thrilled to be able to share it with you all.

I am reminded, too, that nothing that I do is completely of my own strength or effort. Thanks to all who made this possible!

Thank you to John Calvin Presbyterian for allowing me into their service. Thanks to Pastor Jonathan for the idea and opportunity and for recording the dance. Thanks to Julie and Jan for playing for me and to the choir for singing along. Thanks to my housemates for putting up with the song on repeat, especially to Sarah for recording me practice so I could see myself dance and to David who came to support me. Thanks to Lina and Christian for helping with the choreography.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Community

Towards Anti-Racism

Towards Nothing