Towards Community (Part II)

One of my most common prayer requests over the last few months has been for my relationships with my housemates and our community atmosphere. Often, I feel like our house is a place of tension and conflict. There seems to always be one person or another that I'm vaguely annoyed at.

But, looking back on the pictures that I've taken since August, we've actually had some really fun and funny times together.

I'm reflecting that the people I live with have become my family. We navigate the mundane of life together; I often want to strangle them, but at the same time they bring joy into my life and are helping me grow.

So, here is a photo journal dedicated to me appreciating the family that I've made in New Orleans:

I came to Louisiana and was welcomed into the Big Green House.


We started out as a house of 6 and spent the early weeks visiting the various PC(USA) churches in New Orleans. Sarah tried very hard to get pictures with all of us in them; the guys didn't see the point.


We quickly figured out that getting snowballs and watching the sunset together was a great way to debrief and relax after a long week.




Early on, Davis and Sarah and I discovered that City Park is a great place to get some space from the cement of the city. We stumbled upon the place that Dan got engaged, under the Wind Chime Tree! My personal routine has become going there every Sunday to journal, rest, and take a break.



Sarah planned for us to go together and ride surreys at City Park one day. We were all in a very goofy mood.


I've tried to be intentional about hanging out with housemates one-on-one too, like when Nate and I, the two people in the house who hate crowds most when together to a poboy festival.


But not all bonding has to be a planned activity. Sometimes, it just hanging around the house.


Once a month, we have community days where Dan joins us!




In October, our community day was actually a weekend in Baton Rouge for Presbytery (the governing body of the Presbyterian Church). We served by helping everyone check in.


As we live together, we have all the times: the good and the bad. I often get caught up in my grievances against others. But I am remembering that they have to put up with me too.

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Colossians 3:13

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

So here's to forgiving grievances and focusing more on what is good and lovely about my housemates. Shout-out to David, Davis, Nate, and Sarah for bearing with me in life this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Community

Towards Anti-Racism

Towards Nothing