Towards Friendship

About a week after I started working at Eden House, a coworker came up to me and said, "I know I haven't known you very long, but I'm going on vacation. My roommate said he would look after my cats, but I'd like someone else to have a key just in case he screws something up. Would you mind helping me?"

My first thought was, "Do you not have any other friends in this city that you can ask?" I was shocked that someone who had known me for a week would trust me with her house key and fur-babies. But, of course, I said yes.

About a week after she got back from vacation, she came up to me and said, "I have a weird question and you'll probably say no, but do you want to go to a burlesque show with me?"

Us at the burlesque show

Who was this woman who so quickly trusted me and so boldly invited me into her life?

Her name is Emily and she and I have quickly become close friends.

The first time I went to her house was because she was amazed that I have never seen the movie Jaws. We were going to watch it together.

I went over to her house and we never watched the movie.

Instead, we talked for hours. I spoke openly and honestly about parts of my trauma that I have never given voice to before. She reciprocated by telling me deep parts of her life.

I felt seen and understood and valued by someone who I had known for only a few months.

She came over to my house, meeting my housemates, to make latkes. It felt like introducing a significant other to my family. All my housemates loved her.

The one day that I find most significant to our friendship was the day of our fundraiser at work.

During the day, we were all running around frantically. Emily was especially stressed because she was responsible for a lot of organization that day. Each time I saw her, as an encouragement, I gave her a kiss on the cheek and told her that I love her and she can do this. In the afternoon, she was walking out the door and I yelled after her, "wait! Don't you want your kiss?" She shuffled back to me with a smile on her face. I laughed, realizing how much child-like joy we bring each other and how we compliment each others' weirdness well.

Us at the fundraiser
A couple hours into the fundraiser, Emily brought me a glass of champagne and pulled me aside to the sidewalk along the side of the house. She toasted me, telling me how she was in awe of how much I work and how little I make for all I do. She told me that sometimes she sits in her office and gets genuinely upset at the idea of not working with me after my YAV year is finished.

In the recent months, we have created a list of all the things I need to do to "experience New Orleans" and have scheduled them all for the next 5 months to experience together.

She is SO EXCITED to watch me experience Mardi Gras.

So here's my toast to Emily:

Emily, you bring me so much joy on a daily basis. Seeing you walk into my office is often the bright spot of my morning. You love my weirdness and quirkiness and match it right back to me. You encourage my inner child. You defend me when needed. You teach me about New Orleans. You give me hugs and kisses. You see me when I'm discouraged and lift me up again. You talk honestly about what's going on in your life and let me be honest about mine. You let me crash at your house when I'm too angry to go home. You're always up for an adventure. You're the best thing that I never expected moving to New Orleans. I'm grateful for you. I appreciate you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Community

Towards Anti-Racism

Towards Interconnected Joy and Sorrow