Towards Power

In my undergraduate career, for my research, I interviewed many activists around the country about the influence of their faith on their social justice work. Additionally, my faith significantly influences my own advocacy. So naturally, when my friend Janay Tyson hosted a Zoom meeting with her friend on how we can fight for justice in this moment as Christians, I wanted to be part of that conversation.

I was honored to be able to listen to two Black women speak so eloquently and honestly about how they see God speaking into their lives and to the social movement at this time.

In this blog post, I will not be speaking on their behalf. Rather, I wanted to share with you my own reflections and takeaways from that Zoom meeting. But, I preface with the context of these reflections to give them credit for speaking their truths and giving me spiritual food for thought.


Working towards justice is not a task that will be accomplished in a week. It will not be accomplished in a month. Indeed, justice is a lifelong commitment.

When it seems like the enemy is winning and when it is easier to ignore injustice, we must not give up. When it seems like the oppressor is doubling down, we must be courageous.

Joshua said to them, “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous. This is what the Lord will do to all the enemies you are going to fight.”
Joshua 10:25

In the moments when we feel powerless, God offers hope, strength, and rest. In my reflections, I've found power in unexpected places.

1) There is power in redemption. The battle against racism and injustice is not simply a "this world" issue. It is a spiritual issue where Satan has a hold of our society. That makes this fight spiritual warfare.

Evil manifests itself in the world. But we must remember as we fight for social justice that we should not seek to destroy each other; we should seek to destroy the evil and redeem the lost.

For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.
2 Corinthians 10:3

For me, this influences my calling to be a bridge-builder. Those who seem to be working on the side of injustice, should not be abandoned, but need to be brought into the light with love.

2) There is power in prayer. I fully believe that, especially in US American society, we underestimate the power of prayer. God calls us to prayer constantly and be steadfast in our prayers. Indeed, there is a parable in which a judge gives a widow what she wants simple because she continues to ask.

Bring God into this fight. Cry out to the Lord. God hears our cries. God is fighting with us and for us and through us.

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
Colossians 4:2

For me, this means that when I feel overwhelmed by injustice, I pray. I take a moment to ask for peace and courage. Then, after an hour or a day, God gives me the strength to keep going.

3) There is power in a united community. When we as a society proclaim truth, when we gather to say that Black lives do matter, then no power structure can deny our collective voice.

Having a united community is not just for organizing and social activism, it's a Biblical principle. God calls us to be united as a faith community.

Your community is fighting with you and for you.

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.
1 Corinthians 1:10

For me, this means making sure that I'm listening to the collective voices of people calling for justice. I find my own place and way, but I do that to more effectively amplify the voices of those being oppressed calling to be set free.

4) There is power in forgiveness. Anger has an important place in activism. Jesus was ignited with anger. We are angry at the senseless killings of Black bodies in the US. Yet, Jesus loved even those who put Him on the cross to kill Him.

Anger fuels us towards action. Hatred consumes us. Forgiveness offers liberation.

Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
Luke 23:34

For me, this means letting Jesus forgive me for the ways that I contribute to injustice while I work to be better, instead of hating myself for the ways that I have unintentionally hurt others. 

~~~~

I am afraid. I am afraid to have difficult conversations about controversial topics with those I love. I am afraid because I get heated and don't listen to others and might lose those relationships. I am afraid that they might not agree with me and they might think I'm stupid. I'm afraid that I will lose.

But my God is a God of justice and justice will win. So, I'm learning to not be afraid, but how to grasp the power that God has given me in a way that is loving and sound.

 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and sound judgment.
2 Timothy 1:7

What does this mean for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Community

Towards Anti-Racism

Towards Courage