Towards Boldness

As part of the YAV program, national volunteers need to raise $4,000 of support.

When I meet with people I tell them that financial support isn't the only type of support that is important, so it's okay if they can't donate to me. Prayer for my mental stability in a time of transition and emailing me in response to my blog posts are also significant. The power of prayer is underestimated and so is the value of feeling connected and cared about.

And those other types of support are also needed.

But financial support is the only type of support that is quantifiable. That has a goal that I need to achieve.

Financial support is a really significant part of the work of the church. Yes, prayers are powerful and community is important. But to build buildings or run programs, money is needed. By contributing financially, people are able to participate in projects even if they don't have the time or physical capability. It allows people locally to have a global impact.

At first, I wasn't truly worried about raising the money. I grew up at a mid-to-upper socio-economic status, so the people around me aren't struggling to make ends me. They should be able to donate. And a couple other friends have to raise their salaries yearly. I only have to raise less than one-tenth of what they need. It should be easily achievable.

I wrote to my friends and met with people around me. And after 3 months of casual support raising and with one and half months in the country before I start, I had raised a grand total of... $800.

When I saw that number I panicked a bit. Now this was excluding people who had sent checks. But still, most people I know donate online and I'd exhausted all of my contacts.

From this I reflected on two things:

First, I easily cut people out of my life.

Since high school, when I realized people around me weren't appreciating me or were negatively contributing to my life, I flipped a switch and cut them out. Cold turkey. I didn't need them. I could get by on my own.

But I can't get by on my own. I need community around me. And maybe they aren't the best emotional support to have around, but it sure would be nice to have more people around me that I could ask for financial support. After completely cutting them out of my life though, I don't think it would look good for me to simply waltz in and ask for money.

I don't think my pride could take it.

I need to be more careful with the relationships I have. Be less ready to cut people out. Be more gracious and forgiving.

Second, I haven't stepped out of my comfort zone yet.

I've been talking to people who I enjoy talking to and want to tell about the next phase of my life anyway. I haven't reached out to people that I don't really know or don't know how they would respond. A lot of the times, I just trail off at the end, not wanting to say something along the lines of "Will you give me money?" because I know that each individual and family has their own financial needs.

Though I might seem like a bold, honest person. I really often try to avoid conflict as much as possible. I don't want to create tension or make other people uncomfortable.

I need to buckle down. I need to reach out to people I don't know well. I need to be bold in asking people to partner with me in the mission of God. I need to be more willing to be flat out rejected.

I need to break out of my comfort zone.

Not just to raise the financial support that I need. But this boldness will serve me well in the future in more ways that I can imagine. Gentleness paired with boldness, that's what I aspire towards.

"You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions."
James 4:2b-3

I am asking not for my own passions, but so that I may serve and learn. So that I may support people spiritually and build relationships. So that I may embody the love of God who cares for the poor and downcast. So that I may be part of God's light in the world.

So, here I am, asking you (albeit through the internet): Will you support me financially? If you know people who would be interested in the work I'm doing, would you connect me with them?

You can donate by sending a check or online. 1) Mail check to NOLA YAV (c/o Dan Baker), PO Box 8666, New Orleans, LA 70182 2) Go to www.neworleansyav.com/donate. Designate "Young Adult Volunteer" and type "Kristina Meyer" in the notes.

Update (7/3/19): I have reached my individual fundraising goal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Towards Community

Towards Anti-Racism

Towards Interconnected Joy and Sorrow